KJZT Family Life is looking for a Financial Controller to join our team.
JOB TITLE: Financial Controller
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: President/CEO
EXPECTATION FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
Support the Fraternal’s mission, vision, and values by exhibiting the following behaviors: excellence and competence, collaboration, innovation, respect personalization, commitment to our members, and accountability and ownership.
Responsible for finances of the fraternal, general ledger accounting, accounts receivable, accounts payable, mortgage, insurance and tax processing; monthly accruals; budgets; and bank reconciliations. Analyze financial information and prepare financial reports to determine and maintain record of assets, liabilities, profit and loss, tax liability, and other financial activities. Timely processing and reporting of payroll information; provides accurate paychecks and payroll records.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop internal control policies, guidelines, and procedures for activities such as budget administration, cash and credit management, and accounting.
- Maintain general ledger and reconciling general ledger accounts.
- Prepare or direct preparation of financial statements, business activity reports, financial position forecasts, annual budgets, or reports required by regulatory agencies.
- Monitor financial activities and details, such as cash flow and reserve levels, to ensure that all legal and regulatory requirements are met.
- Manage month-end close accounting process and closing cycle, management reporting, account analysis and account reconciliation.
- Preparation of Form 990 and coordination of all tax reporting with the IRS.
- Supervise accounts receivable and accounts payable.
- Coordination of annual external audits.
- Ensures all accounting transactions are in compliance.
- Responds to inquiries from the President/CEO regarding financial results and special reporting.
- Monitor and analyze department work to develop efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Perform special projects and other duties as requested, directed or assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting.
- 10+ years of accounting experience with experience managing a staff.
- Experience with nonprofit organizations, preferred.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES:
- Texas Life Agent License or ability to obtain within one year of hire.
- Fraternal Insurance Counselor (FIC) designation or ability to obtain within one year of hire.
Strong communication skills, both verbal and written and ability to carry out written or oral instructions. Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
The ability to choose the right mathematical methods or formulas to solve a problem. Calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages; apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Identifying problems and issues of varying complexity and finding effective solutions when minimal standardization exists. Drawing correct and realistic conclusions and making timely decisions based on available information.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS:
- Must be a Catholic in good standing.
- Knowledge of GAAP Financial Reporting requirements.
- Knowledge of fraternal insurance business.
- Knowledge of employment and payroll related laws.
- Must be proficient in accounting software and a variety of computer software applications in word processing, spreadsheets, database and presentation software with a willingness to learn new systems.
- Must have a high level of interpersonal skills, tact, diplomacy and a clear, courteous and professional manner and must demonstrate effective oral communication skills and the ability to work cooperatively when dealing with staff, members and sales agents.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects and details simultaneously with an analytical ability to gather and summarize data for reports, find solutions to various administrative problems, and prioritize work.
- Must be willing to travel. A substantial amount of travel within the state and a minimal amount of travel out of the state is required.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
The physical demands and work environment described below represent the activities and surroundings of the positions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work is typically performed in an office environment, with a moderate noise level. Occasional travel is required. To perform the job, the employee is frequently required to talk and hear on the telephone and in person with individuals and groups. Also occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. The employee is required to read and respond to documents in hard copy and electronic form.
Email your resumé to email@example.com and request an application.